« Home | Truth » | Friend or Foe? » | Tenant » | Relationship Quote » | Personal Evolution » | Forgiveness » | Desert » | The Five Love Languages » | Blog Tenant » | Habits »

Skills

[Photo: social skills by mixergirl]



If you could teach everyone in the world one skill, what would you teach them?1


For me, hands down, it would be critical thinking -- urging people not to accept what they are told by "authority" and the media simply at face value. In essence, I'd like to give people the tools necessary to effectively reflect on what they choose to believe and the ability to seek out alternative views if they so choose.

1 Selected from The Conversation Piece 2.

I want to teach everyone compassion.

It seems to me many of the world's problems would be solved if everybody would just chill out and imagine the other guy's side for a minute. Critical thinking is great, but it won't solve for selfishness.

(but I won't lie -- the first thing I thought of when reading the title of your post were these lyrics:

I'd like to teach the world to sing
In perfect harmony
I'd like to hold it in my arms
And keep it company... )

Absolutely Critical Thinking - without a doubt the single most important thing - it would be world changing.

I agree. I took a class once though and was sorely dissapointed :(

Shuffleboard. :) Ok, seriously, I am going with mindfulness. I think if people are always taking time "to smell the roses," aware of what they are currently thinking and feeling, and aware of why they are thinking and feeling that (which is discovered by proper mindfulness), I think that will bring them a level of compassion and critical thinking. This is a very difficult question because both compassion and critical thinking are excellent answers--I mostly went with mindfulness to convey something different. Truly, I would have difficulty choosing between these three.

Katie - What we figured out in my college about the critical thinking class was this. Not to learn independent critical thinking, but learning to think like the teacher. Cause as long as you agreed with him you passed the class. Its impossible to take this class unless you have a non-subjective professor.

I think that I would teach everyone to feel more - to think with the heart - so to speak. We spend too much time trying to analyze than just enjoying and being.

Post a Comment