« Home | Assinine » | Change of Direction » | Assimilation » | Hypocrites » | Curiosity » | Quick Fix » | Secrets » | Parental Right? » | Super Nanny » | Chicago is #1! »

Conflict


From "Tweedledum and Tweedledee"
by Lewis Carroll

Tweedledum and Tweedledee
Agreed to have a battle;
For Tweedledum said Tweedledee
Had spoiled his nice new rattle.

Just then flew down a monstrous crow,
As black as a tar-barrel;
Which frightened both the heroes so,
They quite forgot their quarrel.


Do you choose your battles wisely?

Yes I choose my battles wisely. i try to avoid conflict as it depletes necessary energy for other purposes.

I do agree that most fighting is a huge waste of energy.. (and money, and human capital, etc..)

But, the world isn't that one-sided.. the only battles I think I have any control over are ones that I might've started by my own will... If the world's fighting me, I'm not sure it's a battle that I "chose".. hard to say.

I think what's important is to figure out the basis of the fight.. do you know what the other side wants? do you even know what you want? do they know? are you fighting for as long as it takes for them just to say they give up?

--

I cringe a lot during the daily press briefings.. at the response to questions about Iraq, and our strategy there.. That defining a fixed-date to start pulling our folks out would mean we might place ourselves in a position to "not win". And that somehow, simply staying for as long as it takes for the other side to "not win" is what we'd rather do.

Fighting for the sake of fighting.

Meanwhile, each new battle grows fresh resistance to our forces.. each week the number of folks that want us out of there, by any means necessary, grows. Seems so obvious to me that if people are purely fighting you beacuse you're present, that perhaps staying around until they stop isn't a viable (or win'able) strategy.

And reaffirming on TV that our strategy purely consists of patience and resolve, might be heard just as clearly by the enemy as it is by us. Obviously if we can win by being patient, they could also win by being patient.

--

So, maybe a different question? Do you choose your losses wisely, or do you always stay in the fight for longer than you should? :)

Most of the time I would hope that I do...but sometimes I'm just asleep and I'm mean about being awake and then I have to drink my coffee alone....

Post a Comment